Best Practices – How to Capitalize on your Long Tail

by

By Ofer Alt, CEO Celebros

 

Retailers are constantly looking for ways to increase revenue on their online shop. One area they simply cannot afford to ignore is known as the “Long Tail,” those less-searched keyword variations, that is too often, a source of missed revenue.

Statistics indicate that popular search terms account for only 30% of overall searches performed on the web, while the remaining 70% of search queries occur within the so-called “Long Tail.”  For some stores, the Long Tail percentage is even more impressive. In fact, one of our customers reported that as much as 91.5% of his site’s revenue was generated by the Long Tail!

Most e-retailers work under the assumption that if they check their Top 50 search terms frequently and make manual adjustments to show relevant search results, they are covered.   However,  what they fail to realize is that even if they did an excellent job ensuring the Top 50 search terms show good results (assuming these don’t change on a daily/weekly basis), they still have theoretically maximized only 5 to 10% of revenue!

How can you maximize profits from your Long Tail? Here are four practical suggestions:

  • Start with an intelligent site search engine, one that understands human language and the semantic function of each word in a search query.   An intelligent search engine will guarantee that relevant results are generated for your Long Tail and more importantly, will recommend a similar item if the brand/category/item is not available.

 

  • Make sure your site has a good catalog classification tool, complete with attribute and synonym management capabilities.  This will increase the chances that your products are included in relevant categories and are easily found.

 

  • Give your site the ability to add new categories according to changing consumer habits and trends without manipulating your catalog’s data. The regrouping of products from different catalog categories supports Long Tail search queries and creates extended merchandizing capabilities with new, relevant points of interest.

 

  • Give your site the ability to quickly and easily optimize your search solution to support your shoppers unique language and constantly evolving vernacular.  This enables even the most eccentric search words to immediately bring up relevant results.
Advertisements

Tags: , , , ,

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: